Moving - A Form of Insanity!

 

Sisyphus Condemned to Moving

    Moving and down sizing, I must confess to suffering a peculiar form of insanity. Depression upon opening boxes in the basement that had lived down there undisturbed since the last move. Fifteen years of long forgotten Stuff. Would it be okay even smart to just throw the Stuff all away without looking inside. Just let it go. Yes it would have been. No it wasn't to be. Proof of a certain form of insanity. Oh, to put a positive spin on the stuff of memories like slides and slide projector so on and so forth sounds fine. 

    

Depressed Donkey

Then there's antique chairs that haven't had a human butt sit in them for twenty, thirty, forty years or more. Then there's the felt guilt of waste and wasted money.  Truth will out. Therefore I must confess to a form of insanity. (My wife shares this disease too whether she will admit it or not.) Neighbors too report a similar experience of packed boxes moved then left unopened. Although maybe not terminal could moving insanity be as infectious as Covid? Or maybe as debilitating? I still have boxes to unpack. Stuff to sort through. I'm just beginning to recover from the move. 

    I'm at the stage of life where I suffer a male malady called shrinking butt syndrome. Aptly named suspenders a final dagger in vain vanity. Suspenders keep my pants approximately where they belong covering my diminished derrière.  Unfortunately I discovered a new law of physics. Every time I bent over to pickup a box then straightened to stand upright the action of suspended pants moving down then up caused an equal and opposite reaction in my underwear.  My underwear kept moving down until the elastic fell below each  butt cheek.  I would have to stop reach down inside my pants and pull them up. If you study the picture of Sisyphus by the artist Titian at the top of the page you see he too had a similar problem. His underwear crept down as he fulfilled his karmic curse to carry a boulder to near the tip top of the  mountain only to have the boulder fall back down.  The boulder no doubt fell when he reached down to pull his underwear up. Then Sisyphus would have to return to the bottom of the mountain and start over. Clearly moving must be a mythological Sisyphean task peculiar to humans. Albert Camus used the myth as proof of his assertion that being human is Absurd. Moving stuff I hadn't missed for fifteen years and even storing some in spite of many loads taken to Good Will highlighted my feeling of  being caught in the Absurd. 

Buddha Raises/Praises Rubber Ducky!



       Hope exists in the Buddha raising the Rubber Ducky on high for  praise. Proof that humor may be the true antidote to suffering. To be able to laugh at the absurdity of my absurdity a saving grace. Yes, too much stuff has been moved. I now write this amidst boxes of stuff to be sorted through. Some stuff needs a proper resting place like a book shelf. Some stuff to be sorted through with the knowledge some may be worth keeping. For instance a children's story I had written a long time ago titled? Well if I can find it again the title starts with "Sir Nubbins" something about a teddy bear's struggle to fully express his being. Yes more will be revealed as I settle into the new place and space.

Zombie Park Fantasy
       Learned during this move compassion for the misunderstood walking dead. I now know what the walking dead feel like and know that they suffer from a severe prejudice. Feeling during the move and after the move to be one of the walking dead I can testify that the real walking dead are too damn tired to chase anybody much less bite or eat anybody. The walking dead as portrayed in movies is a biased fantasy a false narrative created to sell movie tickets only. Leave those Zombies alone. They're too tired to poop! 
    May Peace and Serenity be yours as long as you make no plans to move my Friends. Or get your own Buddha* and Rubber Ducky then laugh at the absurdity of too much stuff and being human.  Tony

    Ps: Send some love to all those Zombies out there. We need your prayers.

* Maybe Too Much Stuff motivated the Buddha to enlightenment. Returning to the bare necessities a begging bowl, a half-assed coarse robe, and nothing else. Did he own any underpants? No mention made of what he did for toilet paper? Did he ever get poison ivy from squatting on the wrong log? Important questions like these are seldom asked. 

Anthony G. Hendricks, author, poet, nature lover -- naturally;  Buddha Blues, just published with a great cover created by his Sister Judith; available at Amazon as print on demand or as an e book at Amazon or Kobo. With formatting help on cover and interior by Woven Red. Other books The Wasteland Revisited, a book length poem about the dystopia causing global warming; available as an e book at Amazon; A Journey In The Human Dilemma, collected poetry and prose; trade paper back only available through the author. 

Picture of Sisyphus by Titian courtesy of Wikipedia.

Comments

  1. What an image! Of you digging in your dungarees to retrieve your tidy whities.

    It sounds exhausting- I too will pass by those boxes and unused Stuff! Not looking forward to it even though I try and purge every once and a while.

    I hope I will maintain the wonderful sense of humor that you always have.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have finally begun to declutter in my home. I have lived in my house in Madison longer than any other in my life! During all this pandemic I was too busy doing my stained glass table top, painting tulips on flower boxes, moving plants and painting cherry trees on my garage plus my usual putting! Now, I am slowly seizing the moment to get rid of cobwebs and dust bunnies!
    I ask my HP’s help as it is too much for me! Thanks for your shares.
    Many hugs, Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Hilarious. I can appreciate the the guy and the rock issue... that is why I am actually getting rid of stuff...

    Well done. you just get funnier and funnier ... when not in walking dead mode....
    Love you baby brother..J

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Tony. This is a perfect description of the moving process. I too, have moved boxes that haven't been touched in 15 years. In fact, some of our boxes in the basement haven't been touched in much longer than that! Why do we keep the stuff inside of them? I have no idea...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Passion, Self-Compassion & Beauty of a Rose!

March -- Go Fly A Kite!