Death in the Morning! What Survives?

Beth Steffen

           In the dark walking her dog at 6:30 a.m. Beth Steffen began crossing South Syene Road  just above the top of a small hill in Fitchburg, Wisconsin.  A car driving south crested the hill as she neared the other side. Hit violently Beth never reached the other side. January 3, 2023 became her last day on planet earth. The accident happened a short distance from where I sat in our apartment sipping coffee. Unaware of the tragedy unfolding I stared out into the dark across Nannyberry Park toward where Beth lay taking her last breath.  I heard no sirens, saw no flashing lights. A fire station is within a stones throw of where the vehicle struck her. So close  sirens weren't needed. EMT's were probably on the scene almost immediately.  An educator and proud civil rights advocate, at 56  Beth worked as the interim principal at Badger Ridge Middle School in nearby Verona. She's survived by her husband, son and daughter. There's no report about whether her dog survived or not. 

            Curious, since I walk the paved paths in the neighborhood daily, I walked up to the likely intersection where Ninebark Dr. intersects S. Syene Road.  The place where I thought the accident might have happened. Houses on the other side of Nannyberry Park block the view from my slider. I crossed the street in the crosswalk to where I'd seen a news crew filming earlier, but saw nothing obvious like skid marks or yellow tape to indicate that's where she died. Then rather than going back to the crosswalk, I started back across from the corner I was on. I saw a vehicle coming but felt I had plenty of time. Halfway across I noticed the vehicle closing faster than anticipated. I hurried forward as I heard the vehicle slow for me. My bad.  I know that vehicles tend to speed on S. Syene Rd. Some locals call the road Syene Speedway.  Later I learned I had been at the wrong intersection. Beth had  died a couple of blocks further north while crossing at Argus Lane and S. Syene Road, just above where the hill and road crest.

Damar Hamlin


            The night before Beth died, I had watched Monday night football when 24 year old Damar Hamlin safety for the Buffalo Bills suffered a heart attack following a tackle.  Although injuries occur frequently in football games they rarely have immediate life or death consequences. This one proved to be the exception. Immediate medical attention to Damar included CPR and a defibrillator applied to restart his heart. All the players surrounded their fallen friend, dropped to their knees and began praying. An ambulance soon carried him to the hospital. On January 5, 2023 officials reported Damar returned to consciousness still on a ventilator he wrote, "Did we win?" One of his doctors replied, "Yes, you won the game of life."  A little more than a week later Damar returned home with gratitude for all the prayers and love expressed throughout the world for his near death survival.

            Truly surprising how few death's occur in football games considering the violent nature of the sport. Large fast men run at each other full speed to block and tackle while the ball carrier seeks to cross a goal line and make a touch down. I played the game in High School and a year at a small college.  The last year I played I recall one game vividly. A sure tackler I always covered kickoffs and punts. Also being slow the tackle had normally been made by faster players before I arrived.  One game on punt coverage the return man avoided the initial tacklers and swung to my left. I sprinted hard to cut him off,  hit by a blindside block I suddenly did a full body slam into the turf. Momentarily part of my being left my body as I became one with the grass. Soon enough that thing I choose to call spirit rejoined my body, I pushed myself up and off the grass. Somewhat dazed I started jogging toward the sidelines until I realized that I was still in the game.  

       To honor Beth Steffen's life there's been an outpouring from former colleagues, staff and students providing testimony to her positive contribution to improving the quality of life for all those she worked with and met. One colleague recalled that when Beth came to work at his school  she shook hands with everyone she would be working with including all the janitorial staff.  She first taught English at Beloit Memorial High School. A former student of hers at Beloit volunteered that Beth had literally saved her by lending her a sympathetic ear as she struggled to survive a highly dysfunctional home. Now a mother this former student credits Beth's loving gift for her confidence to positively navigate the challenges of parenting and life.

   

        In his hospital bed recovering while flanked by his parents Damar made the heart sign in appreciation for all the loving concern so many people throughout the world showered on him. Motivated by the desire to give back, Damar had already started a charity to provide needy children with toys. His charity had only collected a few thousand dollars. After his near death experience that Monday night 8.5 million dollars poured in to his charity from around the world. Whether Damar will ever play football again is unknown, but most certainly he will be able to share his loving heart by continuing to give back. 

        Beth Steffen and Damar Hamlin appear to be two different people from different walks of life who never met and appear radically different on the outside, yet both shared in common a great loving heart. Beth Steffen  leaves a legacy of love for all who knew her. Damar Hamlin survives to spend the rest of his life sharing by giving back.

    A creative energy source permeates the whole universe and animates our bodily flesh.  This Power-that-flows-through-all-things which some people call God lives on, never dies. Each of us contains that divine energy which never dies. The highest has been expressed by these two different lives. Love creates our potential as human beings to transcend fear. To see beyond skin color to reach the vibrant beating heart.  

    While recovering Damar shared this feeling;  "If you get a chance to show some love today do it. It won't cost you a thing."

        Thank you for joining me and in sharing the warmth of friendship as we travel this embodied journey on planet earth that starts at birth and ends at death. Love is how we appreciate the divine in ourselves and in others. May Peace and Serenity be yours.  

         Anthony G. Hendricks, author, poet, nature lover -- naturally;  Buddha Blues, just published with a great cover created by his Sister Judith; available at Amazon as print on demand or as an e book at Amazon or Kobo. With formatting help on cover and interior by Woven Red. Other books The Wasteland Revisited, a book length poem about the dystopia causing global warming; available as an e book at Amazon; A Journey In The Human Dilemma, collected poetry and prose; trade paper back  

        

    

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Passion, Self-Compassion & Beauty of a Rose!

March -- Go Fly A Kite!